<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, August 30, 2004

 
Protesting the GOP 

Yesterday a friend of mine and I went to Wheeling to see the movie Farhenheit 9/11 at the Towngate Theatre. We arrived just before 4:00 just as the Bush rally at the Wesbanco Arena was letting out. We were completely surrounded by Bush supporters on the streets in cars and on foot. They were carrying their giant Ms (or were they Ws?) and glumly holding their Bush/Cheney '04 posters as we wormed our way through the traffic jam they had caused. I swear, they all looked like Republicans. They were mostly fat and had no joy on their faces. The older ones had over-hairsprayed hair, and the younger ones had their lips pulled smugly into their faces.

Then we arrived at the theater and a different world. People were smiling and friendly. I saw pony tails on men and tee-shirts on women. And eeryone seemed to be there to have fun.

Anyway, it all reminded me of the last time I had had a run in with Bush. It was in Pittsburgh. Both this time and last, I just happened to be there on the same day as him. I didn't plan it that way either time. The last time, I also ran into some anti-Bush people engaged in protest. One of those people was Nina Trimbath, who saw my post and we began an exchange.

On May 11, I received a reply from Ms trimbath to my last note to her. I held off on replying to her until it was relevent again. Well, thanks to the GOP convention, it is finally a relevent topic once more. Following is her reply and my response:

.........
Ms Trimbath's Email to Me

Dear Mister,

Hello again. Thanks for the speedy response, and thank you for the apologies. :) I would be dishonest if I didn't admit that there were certain points that I also made presuppositions about during, and immediately after the event, only to be surprised after I talked to the other women who were arrested. This is why I say that, although I feel that "resisting arrest" is a poor tactic, I would like to discuss it with the ones who did it further before I say it is altogether "wrong."

I understand the comment you made about leaving protest to the professionals. I have only been to one protest in Pittsburgh, and can't really say if the others have been as haphazard and disorganized. I do feel that the only way you become a "professional" at anything is through experience, trial and error, and instruction. It is difficult to find this instruction and support when you are young and have a different vision than the older generation. I am not sure if the Pittsburgh Organization Group (POG, the ones dressed in black) have any experienced person to advise them. I know that I personally, look for it, and am grateful to find it when I rarely do.

I think that having a spokesperson would be a good idea, I wonder if the media would respect a spokesperson by speaking to them exclusively. After reading the "protest any president" comment, I doubt it.I know that there was a well-spoken man there, who helps out POG. He may even be their representative. When we were in the paddy wagon, awaiting transport, I over heard him speaking into a megaphone about our rights and how he was going to help us. I am sure he had a lot of comments to make, and probably did, but his comments were not printed. I tend to think that the PG took some relish in posting the naive "protest any president" comment. Like I said, it made us look a bit ridiculous.

I understand that condemnation is inevitable and perhaps my skin will thicken with experience. I think this is what upsets me most in the political world, and in life; that is that, I have to disengage myself. I cannot, as of now, see any person as a walking ideology. I take everything personally because I cannot stop seeing anyone as a person, if this makes any sense. The day of the protest, when I first saw the commotion going on with the protesters, the police, and the bikes (before the arrests) I grabbed the microphone and said "Everyone, the police are not our enemies, they are people too." I got a lot of flack for saying that, and didn't understand what was happening; that the police were using their bikes to coerce the protesters. I'd like to think that it will always grieve my heart, and should always grieve my heart, when a person opposes another person over some kind of abstract loyalty to a state, an idea, or a stance. I see how the pressure of such a confrontation can make us see those who oppose us as appendages of an institution instead of a individual person who, for personal and real reasons, has taken this particular role. So, I will try to gain thicker skin in a caring way, if I can. I do think that if you treat someone like a "role", they will react in that way. I also understand that this is awfully hard not to do, when you are being so opposed.


I do consider myself an anarchist in some way, I do not know if it is in the same way that POG, or other young anarchist regard them selves and I am, of course, open to other opinions and wisdom on the subject.

I am an anarchist in that I agree with Ward Churchill when he says that "it has been commented that only a people who are fundamentally lawless need an ever expanding and more elaborate code of legality. People have a basis for relating to one another in a respectful manner without it being codified and set down in black letter law, unless you have a context that is diametrically opposed to their natural understanding of their interests, then you have to make these black letter rules."

I do not think it is "authority" that I oppose, as I observe that there are fundamental rules and authority in nature. That is that we are subject to dynamic co operation with the earth and each other. I am in no way an expert on this subject and so I wouldn't even begin to school anyone about what these laws are. There is definitely something to be said for the countless cultures who live, and have lived, without third party, "state" authority and the moral lessons you learn about relationships and yourself when your allegiance to rules and regulations begins to pale away. I think this may be an entirely different post-subject all together. :) I am open to this going wherever, if you are. Again, thank you for the apologies and thank you for caring about this situation at all.

If you want to see the video link from KDKA, you can go to this link,
http://kdka.com/local/local_story_111142813.html
and then click on the first video coverage link to the right.

.........

My Email Reply

Ms Trimbath,

I apologize for taking so long to reply.

Getting right to the gist of the conversation, in my opinion, the problem with the label anarchist is that it has become a misnomer. Anarchy seems to have two separate meanings depending on who is hearing the word. It is either synonymous with rebellion or it is synonymous with lawlessness. There is nothing inherently wrong with rebellion when rebellion is called for. Lawlessness, however, is never acceptable.

Yesterday, there was a huge and organized demonstration in NYC. The only incident was when a couple of self-proclaimed anarchists set a fire. Otherwise, the demonstration went smoothly and beautifully. Even the media coverage made our point.

The problem with doing irresponsible things like this is that it allows the opposition to marginalize the protest because they marginalize the protesters. Consider a pro-life rally where they berate pregnant women as they enter the clinic. I suspect that you would be able to rationalize a dismissal of their whole issue. Well, since the purpose of a protest rally is to influence people to acknowledge the validity of your argument, inviting marginalization at any level is folly.

I know that you agree with me on this, but I just wanted to illustrate the point in a way that the casual reader could appreciate. Hopefully, the demonstrations in New York will accomplish their goal. The sheer numbers of people standing against the president must make an impact. It will -with luck -counter the impression given by the conventioneers and our lackluster pundits that all of America stands in support of this administration. It will remind undecided voters that there are reasons to oppose this incompetent presidency.

Mister

Permalink

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?